The Snapshot Reports are an analysis of the dataset underlying the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) LED Lighting Facts Product List. These reports are designed to help retailers, distributors, designers, utilities, energy efficiency program sponsors, and other industry stakeholders understand the current state of the LED lighting market and its trajectory.
Small form-factor halogen MR16 lamps have excellent color quality, deliver focused illumination, are easy to use with controls, and are available with a range of different options and accessories. This combination of features is difficult for LED technology to successfully replicate. This is especially true for 12 V, 50 W halogen lamps, which are the highest-wattage that is commonly available.
Over the past three years, the percentage of MR16 lamps in the LED Lighting Facts database has declined by more than 60% (from 11% to 4% of the total listed products), so it is possible that manufacturers are shifting focus away from MR16s while waiting for continued development of LED technology. As of January 1, 2014, there were 505 LED MR16 lamps actively listed by LED Lighting Facts. This report examines overall trends for these products, including:
- Few MR16 lamps currently listed with LED Lighting Facts are comparable to a 50 W (12 V) halogen MR16 lamp. Of the small subset of MR16s that provided data for beam angle and center beam intensity, only one would meet the minimum ENERGY STAR® CBCP criterion for equivalence to a 50 W halogen MR16 at the same beam angle (40°).
- There has been little increase in mean luminous efficacy in the past two years, but both lumen output and input power have increased steadily in recent quarters. On average, the MR16 lamps listed by LED Lighting Facts have slightly better color quality than other lamp types, with a higher percentage of MR16 lamps having a CRI above 90.
- March 2017 Snapshot: Industrial Luminaires
- December 2016 Snapshot: Troffers
- August 2016 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- June 2016 Snapshot: TLEDs
- April 2016 Snapshot: Downlights
- January 2016 Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- July 2014 Snapshot: Outdoor Area Luminaires
- April 2014 Product Snapshot: Indoor LED Luminaires
- January 2014 Product Snapshot: MR16 Lamps
- October 2013 Product Snapshot: A Lamps
- July 2013 Product Snapshot: Outdoor Area Lighting
- April 2013 Product Snapshot: Indoor Ambient Lighting
- July 2012 Product Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps
- December 2011 Snapshot: LED Luminaires
- May 2011 Snapshot: LED Replacement Lamps